R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New to hobby, suggest starter kit
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Tsquare
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The_Raptor
I've recently purchased a used R/C car, and really enjoy it. But its a Yinrun, and therefore isn't modifiable (or even repairable). I did paint and install a new body (an HPI Ford GT). Now I'm seriously considering getting a real kit.

Requirements:

1/10
Electric
On-road
I do not intend to race it (at least right now), but will take it to the local track.
I want to be able to upgrade it, and tweak it.
Moderately priced, not expensive.

Any suggestions on companies and chassis (I intend to use custom painted bodies from the start)?

Thanx,
Troy
I would recommend the following:

Tamiya TA05 - Hands down, the best car for the money and fully upgradable

Spektrum DSX2 Radio & Receiver - I would go straight to Spektrum, the convienence is teriffic and this set even comes with a metal gear servo.

There is a great selection of inexpensive ESC's to choose from, if your not racing, get one with reverse. Some Tamiya kits come with their standard esc which is good to start with.

As far as chargers and batteries, get the best charger you can afford in you budget, preferabley one that can also discharge (10A min), batteries get the best deal you can find, these, stick pack can be more reasonable - do not waste your money on mathched packs until you get serious about racing, and even then only when you move up into more competitive classes.

Good Luck