R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Lipo
Thread: Platinum Lipo
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 11:29 AM
johnbull
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
You are welcome to send the battery back to Team Orion. It COULD be defective. We have received approximately 10 returns (out of 3000+ packs)with failures of this type. In all cases, user error was to blame. Usually the problem was charging in the wrong mode (NiMH rather than LiPo). One charged using a non-LiPo charger.

The temerature seems high. They should not get as hot as a NiMH at the time of peak. Nor should they be as hot as NiMH after use.

Did you charge the battery, unhook it and leave it alone? Was it in a car, plugged in? Or...?

Was this the first charge for this battery? Was this the first LiPo charge with the charger?
To answer your questions Rick, Yes I charged it, unhooked it and left it overnight. It looked OK when I left it but had burst it's case when I got to the shop in the morning. It was not in a car but on the bench, and not plugged to anything.

This was it's first charge and the first LIPO charged with one from a new stock of Orion Advantage chargers I had just received to sell.

I like to run things myself before offering to customers so I know what I'm talking about when a customer asks. The charger charges Nimh packs OK. I have not risked using it again on another new LIPO.

Like I said, I charged at 6 amps. Should they take this or shouldn't they. I know the instructions say up to 4 amps but other knowledgeable folk have assured me that they can be charged at up to 10 amps without problems.

Perhaps it was a duff pack, or could it be the charger?