R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen MTX-4
Thread: Mugen MTX-4
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Seisick
Tech Fanatic

Default no more stripping

on my first race with the mtx4 about 3 weeks ago, I stripped 2 spurs within an hour, I realized that the mtx4 needs 100% perfect alignment and with endplay, this is what I did to prevent stripping spurs, so far my 3rd spur has lasted since then! that's over 4 hours racing and they're perfect!
1) one piece engine mount, used the kyosho rrr or G4 since I have no access for the 3 racing,kawahara or skyline.
2) when using one of these 2 engine mounts, the engine was located too much within the chasis, so i had to use a spacer between the collect and the front bearing of the engine.
3) 5x7mm 0.1mm associated shims used between all the 5x8mm bearings, clutch nut and thrust bearing, the centax is freer since there's no friction among the 3 bearings, thrust bearing, and clutch bell against the shoe!
4) since I used a one piece engine mount not designed for the mtx4, I needed to add space for the bearing stopper h0756 where the thust bearing sits, I use the 3x4.5mm associated shim.
5) the endplay for the centax is minimun since I use shims before the first clutch bearing, the centax is freer, and when the clutch engage with the perfect alignment the spurs are always in contact with the steel pinions.
beware that as the clutch shoe wears ( i use yellow) you'll have to readjust the space between the shoe and bell and therefore the hole alignment, it's worth at the end cuz my 2nd spur has lasted more than 4 hours of racing.
6) I forgot to mention that I also use a 6x8 0.1mm shim between the pin and the bearing for the 2nd gear hub, cuz I noticed that there was a little touching with the rear brace, it was this or dremeling the rear brace, i preferred the shim!
7) 3x10mm cap screws for the engine mount and 3x10mm flat head screws for the chassis, extra 2mm tightening!
5x7 shims associated 2293
3x4.5 shims associated 2321
6x8 shims, can't find the number but I think they're hpi

happy racing!