R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 720
Thread: Serpent 720
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Paolo M
Tech Fanatic

Hi Guys,

Ok, ok.... It is not a secret anymore. The wait is over. After so much speculation about the name, it is 720. I hope you like the new car, even if with this 2 pics you are not really able to see all the details, but at least you have a taste of what is going to be I will like to wait for the official release that is gonna be on Serpent website in a few days to list in detail all the features, but i know you guys want to know, so i will post a few tips. First of all this car has being tested since long time in several tracks and different countries. I know so far all this drivers have tested the car: Julius Kolf, Rene Cornella, Michael Salven, Gilles Groskamp, Mark Green, Richard Keur, Fabio Domanin, Scotty Gray, and myself (a lot more top drivers but the list will be too long ;-)). Now that is public, those drivers can post some info, answer questions and share information

We test this car in January 06 at Ft. Myers after a State Race event on a Monday and Tuesday private test session (many of Florida drivers saw Rene on Sunday at that event) There where some spectators on those test days and i will like to take the opportunity to thanks them for keep it quiet (they know who they are) Thanks guys for the coop.
I can only say that i was really impressed with the performance, about how much easy is to drive, the amount of steering everywhere but at the same time good stability. Without having the same grip that at the Winternats, Scotty and my self where able to turn consistently lower lap times that the one we did at this year event with the 710.

The car may look a little bit like a 710 as a first impression, but actually is totally new. It does share parts from the 710 like mostly of the transmission parts (absolutely all concerning transmission but couple of things), steering blocks, front sway bar holders, front upper arms, servo saver, radio plate mount, engine mount, fuel tank, shocks and battery. This means that almost all the optionals of the 710 will fit this car.

The main things about the 720 are:
Easy to work and assemble
Wide setup sweet spot
Suspension arms left and right
Stiffer front and rear end (a lot less plastic parts than 710 but still easy acces to front and rear transmission
Rear upper link
Shorter internal drive ratio
Redesigned Suspension Geometry
Ball bearing mounted rear sway bar
Improved brake support
Flexible rear body mount (no more broken rear shock towers)

There is a lot more about this car, but again, I want to wait Serpent to publish the full specs. The car will make the official world debut at 2 venues on the same weekend. In Europe, the car will be raced at the Efra GP in Holland, a really important event cause it’s kind of the warm up for this year Eurpoean Championship (so all the top dogs will be there). In America, the car will be raced at this year Roar Sedan Nationals in California, premier event for this class. We have no time to test the car before the race so they will see the track for the first time at this event.

You all are invited to stop by at our pits to see the new car. See you in SoCal in a couple of weeks

Paolo