R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How you dispose your old batteries/ batery packs
Old 05-31-2006, 01:09 PM
TSR6
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minidriver
Every Best Buy has a recycle box at the front door for rechargeable battery returns. However, I've often wondered if they might have a problem with a side by side pack - the boxes are meant for typical sealed nicads/nimh, where you couldn't short contacts together. If you have ever accidently shorted a side by side with a metal screwdriver, you know much heat these can generate in mere seconds (yes, I have the burn mark of a hex wrench to prove it) - even if they don't have much of a charge in them. Best Buy + RC battery = Fire?? When I dump my packs in the box I make sure to run a wrap of electrical tape around the pack to cover the cell ends to prevent a short circuit mishap.

Every RC line hobby store should have a green recycle box - Nicads are mandatory recycling (cadnium health hazard), whereas NiMh are not, but still should be recycled.
Dave, I think that RBRC has new boxes that have a battery bag dispenser on them. I've seen them before at least. Otherwise either putting tape on them, or putting them in a sandwich bag is fine from what I have read.

Does Trackside have a battery box? I don't think I've ever seen one.