Thread: Hpi Pro 4
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #14413
AngryAsian
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Impulse:

I only ever run a one-way. It's so much smoother and it gives you so much more steering. I've not heard of the balancing the spring rate theory. In my eyes i doesn't make sense.

For a balanced spring-rate to work, the car has to be in a static mode of acceleration. Ie. coasting along. At all other times, the car is putting more weight on the back (Accelerating) or the front(braking). So balancing the rates is irrelevant right?

In fact, many car manufacturers will even move static weight around to account for handling balance during acceleration. Some tout a 50/50 balance as best. Some want a 60/40 (for even handling when the car is accelerating), some say 40/60 is better (to give more drive off the line and increase rear traction generally)...

Weight wise most tourers are a little heavy at the back. Only because the cells sit centrally in most cars and the motor which is teh next heaviest component sits out back. The "central" motor cars like the old x-rays, the ta-05 and the rc lab cars are more 50/50.

In my experience, most pro4 setups use harder fronts because the car already has abundant steering. The stock setup is just so.. a little stiffer up front.

For me - i always think of the dynamic suspension balance.. a softer rear = more drive and less steering on acceleration. Eg. out of a corner. Which is perfect. It allows you to be a bit more brutal on throttle and rotate the car not with steering lock, but on the throttle. Harder fronts also reduce weight transfer when you back off the throttle or brake.

This is more important for a shaft car because of the direct nautre of teh drivetrain. A strong dragbrake motor can easily break rear traction. So the less weight transfer up front, the better. Think of how easy it is to spin with a one-way on the brakes. ANything to improve consistency is great.

Lastly - for antiroll bars.. the idea is to get your car to run around the track as flat as possible. That is, whilst still having as much corner speed as you need. This really helps with consistency. A car that rolls a lot will have lots of corner grip and speed, but will transition wildly. If it rolls too much you will even start losing forward drive as the diffs unload.

So the flatter the better. Most use the antiroll bars to reduce traction at one end.

My one-way setups always use the harder AR bar on the front. It reduces steering a little when the car is in midcorner and really loaded up and stops the whole car from flopping over. The rear i keep soft to keep it inline. It also lets you use slightly less toe in on ther ear which helps with speed.

Cheers!
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote