R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - good 1/12 starter?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 04:53 PM
odpurple
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kyang
Hi All,

My name is Kai and this is my first post at RCTech. I am also looking for my first 1/12 car. I fly RC glider competition for years and after having my Traxx Revo (nitro MT) few months ago, I like R/C driving more! Like the original author, I plan to drive my 12th mostly at asphalt for practice before I can find a place to race (Will move to San Jose next month by the way). I like the design of 12th much more than toruing cars. Simple but a lot of set up need to learn.

I was thinking about RC12L4 but I really don't like the battery "tape" thing. I know it can reduce some weight but it is just a personal preference.
TeamCRC Carpet Knife and T-Force looks like good options too. I try to read through the monster "1/12 thread", but 620+ pages just killing me.

I know people said CK is better for carpet and T-force is better for asphalt. Is there any other comment between these two ? I like the battery setup of T-Force more. How about the CORALLY SP12M compare to these two ?

I am trying to find the "best first" 1/12, not looking for the "best" or the "most winning" one at this stage. From my soaring competition experience, I know winning or losing is 99% depends on the pilot.
Any suggestion is welcome.
Thank you guys.

-Kai
Don't be discouraged by the previous post, even though its true. 1/12th cars do not run well on un-prepared surfaces. If you are moving to San Jose CA, though, there are quite a number of racing venues that you can run at. Most of us that race 1/12th in the area just network to make sure there will be enough 1/12th cars at a given race to run the class. RCracing.com is a good forum to follow for racing in the SF Bay Area.
The 12L4 is probably your best bet for a starter car even if you don't like tape. If you absolutely can't do tape then get the T Fource.
And follow the 1/12th thread on RCtech, it is the best source on the internet.