R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Motor Zappers
Thread: Motor Zappers
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Tempest2000
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmay70
Since we have the magentic gurus on the line I got a question... Is there the possibility to have north and south magentic poles with the possibility to either make one pole stronger than the other? Cancell out the opposite pole because there was either a seperation between the magnets and the fields were so close to each other? Move the concentration of the pole, thus magnetically changing the timing of the motor... I know that this has been tried, I witnessed it, but may have been done incorrectly, and with inferior equipment...

thanks.
You could make one magnet stronger than the other. Usually they are anyways on most motors, but not enough to make a difference.

However you would almost need to remove one of the magnets and make a special jig to zap them one at a time.

No two magnets are the same so when you zap both magnets in a can to their 100% potential that doesn't mean they are equal just that they are as strong as they can possibly be. One magnet usually reads higher with a gauss or tesla meter.

As for changing the timing with a magnet zapper. Yes its fairly simple and can be done. However I know the florida series and some of the big races have already banned the use of the technique. I was told they are no requiring the center of the magnetic field of both magnets to be in the center + or - a given amount.

In testing though, increasing the timing on a motor via changing the magnetic field hasn't really been of benefit. The only place where it seemed to be an advantage was in some of the 0 timing spec oval classes. In touring applications it just makes the motor run that much hotter and although it may gain you a tenth up front most people will lose 2-3 tenths in the last couple of minutes in the race.

Michael