R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi XXX-S
Thread: Losi XXX-S
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Keith Billanti
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by koinonas
I just bought a XXX-S RTRII package. I haven't run it yet, but so far its construction looks much better quality compared to my old Tamiya TT01.

However have noticed that the drivetrain is very tight. By this I mean it will only roll as far as you push it. I thought it might have been resistance from the motor, or the pinion/spur mesh binding.

So I've adjusted the gear mesh so that the pinion doesn't contact the spur and tried rolling it again. Its feels a little free-er and will actually roll after a bit of a push. But its still a lot tighter than my ball raced Tamiya TT01.

I would just like to get some opinions about this tightness before I power it up for a test (don't want to break anything in the drivetrain on the first run as I missed out on doing a check). Is this tightness normal due to it being new and unused, and that it will loosen up with a bit of use. Or am I supposed to strip it right down and lube/adjust all the bearings (can't find any notes suggesting this and think this kind of defeats purpose of buying an RTR?)
I think Ray hit it right on the head. New bearings are packed with grease.. They will loosen up..

Belt tension on the XXXS can decieve. It should not feel like piano wire tight.. should have maybe half to 3/4 of a centimeter of play. Good way to test is to run the car full nut and the full brake.. the belt should slip slightly. (youll know when it slips, it sounds awfull)

Let us know how you like the car!

Keith