R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GRP Foam Tires
Thread: GRP Foam Tires
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 08:13 AM
performula
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Smith
It was said earlier to try racing a full size car some time, and then we would really be able to complain. Well the reason we dont is because of the cost!! In theory rc racing is for the people that cannot do just that ( afford to run a real race car) But you know whats sad? A 1/8 onroad nitro for something competitive after all is said and done can cost upwards of $2,000. A buddy of mine bought a full size competitive stock car for 2,500....with enough tires to last a whole season. We had quite a laugh over the comparison, but yes we both run 1/8.

To be honest if I would have known what I was in for from the beginning I probably never would had done it. I will just choose not to run GRP because of the cost. To spend 200 or more dollars on tires and fuel etc...for a club race is a bit much considering technically these are toy cars.

It is good to see the much lower prices on the newer lines of motors which I think will hopefully pressure more companys to do the same. Maybe we can hope the same for tires.

My .02
I bet I can Auto-X my car for the same cost as racing RC. I enjoy RC so I won't, I believe RC is more satisfying. Since we are able to tinker with suspension, adjusting gear ratios, selection of tires, bodies, etc. There are a set of $360 Kumhos that would last me all year. There was a time I thought of Karting over RC, but that was definately much more expensive. One guy quoted me saying that it would cost about $1,000 each race weekend.

My money is surely spent on the deals. Kits are a different story. I have had three different kits in the last 18 months, but that is my choice and I enjoy it. Also, I keep my personal vehicle 1-2 years because I like to experience different things. Variety is my name of the game.