R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Why should we be made to slow down?!
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 11:48 PM
chris_morrison_
Tech Regular

i don't know how you guys do things in the USA but for the hobby shops getting people to race, the only one on the island west coast Canada the city Victoria. for the last 4 years there's been only on road racing and the hobby shop helps promote the racing to people interested in joining the hobby.
we gave the hobby shop flyer's business cards shedual , and list of entry fees and club membership dues.
a contact list for people to phone with inquiries on racing.

we talked to the employees and owner to let potential racers know what you need to race and what is a wast of time on the track.
including motors bats and tires.

any one of the regular racers and veterans will anser qs to spectators inquiring into the hobby point them to a good starter setup to help them race.

my self i had made it a point to talk to the new racers during the club meet when time is available to explain whats needed to make there car handle.
and talk them thrugh changes and help them understand what the change does and why there doing it.

sine i started with the irocc club in Victoria in 4 years we went from 15 club members to over 50 members with the lowest turn out of 30 racers and we still manage 46 entries for a club race.

the club from day one has encouraged set up and tear down off the track.
we got on any race day 20+ guys at the outdoor track well before setup.
and during setup you will be hard pressed to find anyone lurking about in the pits.

all i know if every one in the club puts out a little effort in helping new racers and promoting the hobby and keeping your hobby shop well informed . having good attitude and a helpful manner any club could go a long way.

its not the responcibility of the hobby shop to promot your club. but its your clubs and if you talk to your local shop they SHULD be more than willing to help, we all know they are trying to make sales and if they are getting more people racing because there knowing what to tell people every one will be happier.

all i know my club is doing somthing right.

chris morrison
www.irocc.ca