R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Wings and Spoilers
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Skiddins
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bobby J
Yup , my friend built a wind tunnel last year , he had tuned to 38 miles per hour..with a scale in the tunnel every body we tested made the most down force @ 12 miles per hour..from 12 to 38 MPH all bodies made lift, the body acts like a parachute the body was pulling the car off the scale ..52ounces turned into about 30 on the wind tunnel scale..The only way a body wont make lift is to have a under tray and fill in the wheel wells....now for the offroad wing thing it is a must to have a wing in off road the car wont fly flat over big jumps and will spin out @ the end of a very fast straight..Ask Pudge if his car works with out a wing..Duh..
While I find the results interesting, I'm just not sure.
On my previous car, Mission, I had an HPI Alfa shell which handled OK until during a race when the wing fell off. All of a sudden it woudn't go around corners at all. I had to back off round the high speed sweeper, it was a bit better around the slower corners (as you would probably expect).

I simply say this, if the body isn't utterly crap to begin with (speaking aerodynamicaly), then a wing is a necessity.
Having said that I have seen the odd car have the wing come off and it didn't seem to slow the car much at all.

Strange

Skiddins