R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - My last battery in pack dies on me... why?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:48 AM
D_o_S
Tech Adept

Ok, I'm back.

Here is what I did:

1) Desoldered old cell
2) Tested new cell, by soldering some wire to each end, and charging it with my Cell Master, everything was OK
3) Soldered the whole pack together
4) Placed insulation tape on the end of each cell, just to be sure that it isn't shorting
5) Gave the cells a few runs on my Cell Master (discharged & charged 5 times).

Now, during charging and discharging, I noticed that the cell closest to the positive side of the pack (not the one I replaced, but the one next to it) kept getting hot, and caused the charger to stop charging. It would always discharge first too... I bet you know where I'm heading.

I took the car for a drive yesterday, and yep, you guessed it, the cell that kept getting hot (not the one I replaced, that one works OK) died on me. I had about 10 minutes of runtime (I have to mention that the trigger was floored most of the time, or I was triving with a twitchy finger). Then the car started stuttering. I came home, placed the pack on my LRP tray, and watched - to my surprise, the one cell which kept getting hot was immediately discharged, while the others were more or less the same. I then measured the voltage on that cell, and Whoa! 0.3xxV. Next, I tried charging that cell individually with my Cell Master, but it gave me some sort of error a few seconds from the start (I just connected the leads to the bars coming to and from the battery). I left it overnight, woke up this morning, measured the voltage, and whatcha guess - 0.045....

So, why is this happening?

Before, the cell that looks dead now seemed to be OK, but the first one seemed to be bad, but it is now ok.....

Any help greatly appreciated.