R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - the Back Alley at FastCats outdoor open....
Old 05-11-2006, 07:44 AM
fastcats
Tech Regular

Default the Back Alley at FastCats outdoor open....

Hey racers,

Thanks to all for coming out this weekend. Although the wind was still a little brisk it was a Great day to be outside enjoying the sport that we all love. OUTDOOR racing has returned to the Back Alley.

As you already know, the BackAlley track is larger than the indoor area and it allows for the lanes to be wider and more forgiving. This season I’m going for even more flowing tracks than I did last year. For the newer drivers a slight mistake doesn't mean that you hold a “board meeting“. Yet for the fast drivers carrying all the speed into the corners, it will still challenge them, as it did on Sunday.

It was good to see many of the carpet electric racers convert to the smooth asphalt of the outdoor track. In the 1/10 OPEN TC there were a number of new drivers moving from the indoor slower classes and had great fun in their own heats.

The fastest class this weekend was the OPEN 1/12th. Wow, can these cars move. Now running the modified motors, these drivers were showing how to control incredible speed yet last the 8 minutes required on the four cells. They kicked butt with an exciting A-Main finish.

With the return of the spring come the NITROs. This year we’re trying 10-minute qualifiers. I have always pondered, that after 2-3 minute warm-up it seemed silly that we only let them run for 5 minutes. With this extension the nitro drivers will get even more time on the track as well as practice their refueling cycles with their pit partners. It was great to see the Nitro drivers back and we can expect exciting racing as they all regain the driving edge that makes Nitro so special. There were even some newbie Nitro drivers that came out to challenge themselves with a new class. They survived and will “definitely be back”.

A new outdoor class was the mini sports. These cars seemed to have more problems controlling their new found speed, MAX'ng out their drive ratios and surplus RPMs from the newly installed black cans. I’ll have to get mine out for the next heats and see if I can control it.

All in all it was a great weekend and hopefully the weather will continue to shine down on us as we exercise our outdoor priviledges.

Off to work now… designing some new sweepers to go along with the new large radius dots…. Always trying to make it as car friendly as possible.

Thanks