R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Motor Zappers
Thread: Motor Zappers
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 05:33 PM
BATT_MAN
Tech Regular

Building a good motor (MAGNET) zapper is not as easy as you think.

It is not only the electromagnet that will saturate the magnet you are zapping.
The MECHANICAL FIXTURE that is used to transfer the magnetig field is CRITICAL in the design of the entire zapper.

To build a good magnet zapper you need to build a coil that will transfer the magnetic field extremely fast, otherwise it will BURN. Calculate the current (AMPERE-TURNS) that is required energize the coil to zap a motor magnet and you will notice that it takes a lot of current. If the transfer is not done extremely fast you will bur the coil and possibly cause a short and a FIRE!!!

There are electronics involved in the design, and they canget complicated and are expensive... you don't just plug in a coil to the 120 volt outlet, even if you use rectifiers.
YOu want to transfer an incredible amount of energy at very fast times. We are playing with units that generate in excess of 2000 Joules and are transfered in less than 120 milliseconds.

We use capacitive discharges to zap magnets. And like I said, the fixture used to transfer the field is CRITICAL. Air gap, diffusion, patterns, concentration, there are so many issues involved in getting a magnet zapper to work....

I will leave it at that.

If anyone wants a magnet zapper, BUY ONE from the companies that know what they are doing. Get the one from Jay Dub...

Like Jay Dub said, most of you have no idea of what you are getting into.

I have been working on one and I still can not get it toperform the way it has to.
I am an engineer and just like Jay I had to consult with many experts.

Last edited by BATT_MAN; 05-03-2006 at 11:07 PM.