R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 01:33 AM
AMGRacer
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Yeah it could be a good setting but im just trying to achieve almost instant clutch engagement from any sort of tiny throttle blip.

I did drive it though with a very snappy drive one time with the mugen grey. Id rev up and the car would just tear out of the corner. But I have like slow transistions , 180's , chicanes you name it. Ill have to bring a video camera next time and do some filming to see the torture this cars goes through , just think of an electric track.

But its horrid with a high engaging clutch at my track youll hear my car mid corner , REEEEEEEEE....and its just at the same speed. Once it finally engages it can throw the car out of the turn. I get high temps from it due to this and can only think how badly its wearing down whatever clutch disc I had to grab.

Basically im trying to get my setup to do what the top driver at my track runs. He uses a very smooth driving style with a low clutch engagement.

Did you ever get the R40 clutch to engage low? As well were those settings for the mugen?

I noticed someone else in a centax thread saying they hated only 2 centax clutches , one was the r40 the other was the reflex. I think its just something that cant be overcome unless you want high rev and hard bite. Which maybe its what hpi wanted for us. But Im not used to this driving style at all and Ive always driven all my cars with basically instant clutch engagement. Im thinking hpi really needs to dig down on this car and not worry about weight placement. But fix the few problems that lurk on this car.
I can get the R40 stock clutch to engage quite low, but as previously discussed the stock shoe is quite slippy and a low setting is quite pointless with that much slip. I really cannot see how engaging the motor at the slight blip of the throttle is going to be that good for laptimes, but also I have never seen your track.

Basically most centax clutches are not really designed for low RPM response/engagement so you will find that their springs prevent useful movement of the clutch shoe even with the adjuster nut set very loose. You will need a quite soft spring, or grind a coil off an existing spring. The problem you will also find is that if the shoe moves too early there will be insufficient bite. Basically you will need to do some experimenting.

But also I would encourage you to watch some RC videos, especially the Winternats videos. That track is fairly tight (well for my part of the world) and you can hear the way they have their clutches set. They are kicking in at quite high RPM and still they have a "sobbing" sound as the clutch bite fights against the tire grip.