R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho v-one rrr
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 06:42 AM
tommi
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B4
Tommi,
Great explanation on the finer points of alignment, however I think I have to disagree with your explanation about camber. When you set the camber it will remain constant during the entire wear of the tires, what actually changes during the wear of the tires is ride height and droop. During the course of a run when the droop changes it will affect the weight transfer which will also change the wear pattern of the tires.
For a long main and I'll just talk about the rear here. If you know you are going to get 4mm of wear and you start with 62mm diameter. I would do all my settings based on 60mm diameter and this will give a good balance for the whole race.
Hey B4!! Thanks for this, I myself have to disagree to my post after reading it again......I should have put it more clearer.

Ok, what I was trying to say is...the changing tire diameter DOES affect the ride height. So in order to get back the same settings, the tire diameter change that leads to change in ride height needs to be compensated by adjusting the ride height, and droop as well. On the camber, when the shocks are extended and the droop changed, the GEOMETRY of the suspension arm changes as well; that is where the camber change takes place. I am talking about making changes to the car's setup accordingly to the changing tire diameter.

B4 is right that the camber does not change during the entire wear of the tire. It's the changing of ride height and droop that took place. Hence, it is the need of adjustment on the ride height and droop resulted from the wear of tire, that force the need to change the camber.