R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Capacitor connected to receiver? What does it benefit?
Old 04-13-2006, 02:25 AM
asw7576
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sonneteer
The issue of intereference cannot only be blamed at the ESCs... the motor is actually the main cause of all evils, but the motor manufacturers are not doing much about it either.... the real problem is the receiver design, it is designed to receive signals, and at the same time it must reject random signals in forms of interference. This makes the receiver design very difficult and ultimately very expensive.

The manufacturers havent much to work on either.... they dont have an effective grounding as most cars are plastic or non conductive, so they cannot rely on a good earthing for the filters to work on, which can allow the filters to "drain" the spikes to earth properly.

We need weight reduction, so the receiver battery is eliminated, we want small size too! so physically the capacitors are the main problem as their values are realted to size....and there you are, you have a receiver drawing milliamps from a source there there will be a motor and ESC supplying square waves in tens of amperes! In this situation it is almost impossible to keep the power stable, the battery internal resistance also plays a part....

With some carbon fiber chassis the situation is even worse, teh chassis is noe fully conductive and therefore there can be a potential voltage at either end, andit also becomes charged....

I am currently working on a R/C grounding system to hopefully improve something....

on the manufacturer's side, I have noticed that motors are emitting more and more due to being over tuned and thus more arcing.... the ESC quality and reliability has improved, but sadly the radio system quality has suffered in the budget price range.
So investing in a good radio system is a good starting point I believe.
Absolutely. Sometimes you need to check the motor capacitor and continuity test ( positive to ground / casing, negative to ground / casing ) with ohm meter. If they are short circuit, the ohm meter will say so ---> you see some number of resistance instead of zero.

Ditto with motor capacitor, I think zero ohm means good capacitor ( I need somebody to confirm this ).