R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Lipos vs NiMH......Nicads....Alkalines
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Grizzbob
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As has become obvious, you'll get different responses from different people, but I know for me, 2(& a half) things are what keep me from jumping into LiPo's. 1. Rules, I don't see a reason to spend that much money on new packs when no big races(like Cleveland, the Snowbirds, the Novak USTC or Vegas IIC, for example) will allow them, & 2. Cost. No matter how you slice it, $150 is a LOT of cash for one battery pack(I can easily buy 2 top notch packs from my preferred matchers for less than that) & also(this is the half part) I'd have to buy a new charger that can accomodate LiPo's(& there aren't as many of them as I'd like to see, & none are exactly cheap, & no, Rick, I'm not forgetting Orion's Advantage, nothing against it but my loyalties simply lie elsewhere). All that being said, I do suspect that eventually, they WILL become the norm everywhere, but there's no reason to rush it. I still remember when NiMh's were first talked about(& it was around 1989, believe it or not) but it took another 10 years or so to put out a useable cell, & a couple more before a GOOD raceable cell arrived(& by then it was just beginning to gain acceptance by everyone), so just be patient, it'll happen....