R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Equlizing trays are bad for your packs. what you think?
Old 04-09-2006, 06:15 PM
InYourFace
Tech Rookie

Default Equlizing trays are bad for your packs. what you think?

it is well accepted that you should equalize after each use.

But when I think about it, it doesn’t make sense to equalize them. Yes it does bring the cells down to equal starting levels but its really irrelevant the starting point of the cell. As each cell will accept different levels of charge anyway.

What I do is to equalize on the charge process.

I charge the pack up in series about 80% of the way.
Then what I do is to peak each individual cell. Do this for each of the 6 cells. Then your packs are equalized. Let it rest for a few hours to let the cells go to its natuaral voltages, and discharge about 80% of its capacity. And now your packs are ready to be charged for racing.

Think of it as water tanks.

We have 6 water tanks and they are all rated as 3000litres. Some tanks vary in size. Some are 3100, 2900, 2950…. Etc

If we were to equalize them by draining the tanks all to zero, then filling it up tank 1 will be under-filled by 100litres, tank2 over-filled by 100 litres etc etc.

However if we were to Fill them up to around 2800litres then, we top up each of the tanks individually then we will fill its tank full, no overfilling and no under filling.

Then when we use the cells, so long as they don’t dump they would all use the same amount of energy, so why not just fill up what you used. Rather than take each cell individually down to its initial levels and make them unbalanced.

Anyway, I been thinking about It for a while now, and don’t see the need for a tray as all it does is bring them all to equal initial levels, however the ending value is what is important.

Anyway this is just my theory on why a discharge tray may not be good. Opinions appreciated