R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?
Old 04-07-2006, 01:25 AM
tonyv
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow, suddenly this discussion is turning negative again. What is it with the internet that makes people miss the basic point that someone has put on the table? This is a DISCUSSION. Nothing more at this stage. It is a chance for everyone to give their opinion and discuss the reasoning behind those opinions.

What I notice here is that multiple discussions are mixed up. Martin's point is basically to pose the question whether the chemicals we use (traction compound is his prime focus) are truly safe enough to be used in the quantities that we use them in for racing. His debate is not about Paragon or any other specific traction compound. He is also not stating that smelly additives are more harmfull than non-smelly ones. In fact he has raised this point in relation to the use of Jack the Gripper as the sole additive allowed for the IIC last year, a non-smelly additive. He furthermore states that he does not know which additives are safe or not safe (if any). We don't even know for sure what is in them...

The debate against Paragon and in Europe many years ago against Tractite was mainly because of the smell. I for one don't appreciate the smell of either and especially don't appreciate the fact that my clothes keep smelling of Tractite or Paragon (read oil of wintergreen) even after washing them. Moreover I tend to be short of breath at major indoor events where these compounds are used too and have the occasional headache. Not sure if this means I am being effected by the chemicals perse as I have allways believed my problems had to do with lack of oxygin or when I step outside (headache gets worse!) an overdose of oxygin. This is health related, but not exactly the point Martin has raised to be discussed.

Personally I feel it warrants investigation whether the chemicals we use are sufficiently safe from a short and long-term health perspective given the amounts and concentrations that we use them in. I believe this is something that should be raised at the different governing bodies (IFMAR, ROAR, EFRA, etc.) as they are best placed to discuss this matter with the companies that sell these products. Whether or not the chemical contents are published or only made known to the governing bodies I don't really care. What I do care about is knowing for certain whether there are health risks and what can be done about it if there are.

At the moment I don't think any of us has that knowledge. There is however no denying that there are people that have a reaction to something. This can range from shortness of breath and mild headaches to more pronounced physical reactions such as nose bleeds and worse. What is causing this we don't know. Whether there are long term effects we don't know. Whether such effects will only hit those that already have physical reactions at events or also those that do not, we don't know.

Sure this is a hobby. But does that mean that we should simply ignore everything if with a little more discussion and awareness we can mitigate any risks there may be and balance them out against the things that make us enjoy this hobby so much in the first place?