R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2006 IIC - Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2006, 09:15 AM
MikeR
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
I would like to see a ban on all forms of traction compound. There is no good reason in my opinion for our hobby to be using such toxic chemicals and exposing ourselves to potential long-term health effects. The skin on my hands is so destroyed from this stuff that it is no stronger than tissue paper and ultra sensitive and always painful. This I know is directly caused by the compounds we use. I have also developed allergies to over 70 different foods, as well as environmental elements over the past 2 years. Although difficult to prove, this is very likely a result of these chemicals we use. I have asked one manufacture to tell me what is in it so that I can discuss this with my doctors but they refuse to tell me so their competitors can copy their "secret sauce". I now wear gloves when handling the compounds but this only reduces and does not eliminate the exposure. In Cleveland I also got nosebleeds, was spitting up blood and could not sleep more than an hour a night due to very laboured breathing and wheezing.

I really love this hobby and don't want to give it up, but after the end of this summer I may be forced to if we continue to use these compounds. I almost quit after Cleveland, but I really wanted to race the reedy race and worlds this summer. After that I will have to re-evaluate.

Sorry for being long winded and talking about this in Scotty's thread but I would love to see support for my call to ban all traction compounds. There is just too much evidence that this stuff will cause serious health issues to many people.

Martin.
Wow, I love racing too but I think I'm going to love seeing my future grand kids more.
An ingerdient I don't have any doubt being in tire traction since they are used in the rubber manufacturing undustry is Benzene and possibly acetone and hexane as thinners.

Martin- please take care.

Mike