R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - the WORST crash you ever had...
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2006, 09:38 AM
DrAwender
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Shoot the first day I got my CX I was so amped to fly it, I didn’t take any time to get acquainted with the controls (have only been driving cars). Any way it was dark and somewhat breezy. I had a heck of a time keeping it stable and every time I thought that I was loosing it, I would up throttle. Well as it went up, the wind became stronger and started to blow it over the next house. I didn’t want to lose it so I cut the throttle. It then dropped below the ridge line of the next house. I was then concerned that it would break it so I up throttled it, still not beeing able to see it. About 10 seconds latter there that little sucker was and it was gaining altitude just barely missing that house. I was then feeling brave and figured with enough altitude I could fly it back to my house so slowly brought it up as the I fought the wind, I added more throttle until it was just over 40 feet. Then the wind picked up and it slowly disappeared into the night. I panicked and totally cut the throttle. I figured that I could find it since I thought I saw the flight path that it took. So then went off for a search and rescue. Remember this was the 1st flight with a $200 toy. Could you imagine what went through my neighbors minds when a grown man comes knocking on their door at 8PM asking to look in their back yard for a yellow toy helicopter? I searched for about 30 minutes and figured it was gone so I went home. Before I left for work the next morning I thought that I would look for my missing toy one more time. It just so happened that 4 houses down, the lady living there was backing out of her driveway, and I figured this would be the opportunity to talk to her about looking in her back yard. She agreed (with a laugh) after I told her the circumstances. I looked all over and could not find it, then she points and says is that it? WOW!!! That was it. It landed in a court yard about 3 feet wide had it missed that then I would never have found it, trees on the far side and the roof on the other. I thought that that little sucker held up quite well considering a 40 foot fall from 4 houses down. Damage consisted of broken fly bar, smashed body, broken landing gear, and unfortunately since it was on over night, the FET on the ESC fried. So aside from the ESC, it only did about $35 worth of damage. Still flying it today with a busted up lexan body.

I WIN!