R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New to the race
Thread: New to the race
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 05:14 PM
rmdhawaii
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dreddlox
Go to your local hobby shop and track and see what they run and what they support. You'll get alot of different answers cause everyone has there preferences. Good luck.
I totally agree with Dreddlox!

What type of budget do you guys have?

If you want to be competitive and get the best car and the best tools/pit gear to keep up with the 1/10th A and B Main racers, your startup costs will be in the $2,000-2,500 range. After that, tires, glow plugs, fuel, maintenance and spare parts will average anywhere from $50-150/month, depending on how often you run the car, how well you want to maintain the car and how much race damage you incurr.

If you just want to have fun, you don't have to spend a lot of money. Any current or previous model will do (i.e. Kyosho V-ONE RR vice V-ONE RRR; Mugen Seiki MTX-3 vice MTX-4). Whatever you decide, make sure you buy decent tools and pit gear.

When I got started this year, I based my purchasing decisons on one simple axiom: If you buy the best and don't perform well, it's not the car. Tuning and driving skills is what really seperates the leaders from the laggards. Winning has more to do with your abilities than what car you choose.