R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Views on Novak Millenium Pro charger?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2002, 11:49 AM
Charlie
Tech Master

Hello everyone,

The "Original" Millennium had no version number indication at power up. Its voltage threshold can only be adjusted down to 8mV/Cell.

The Original Millennium Version 1.20 came out a few months after, the only difference is it shows Version 1.20 at power up and the voltage threshold can be adjusted down to 4mV/cell

The Millennium Pro has 4 different versions of software, menu and function wise they are the same. The First two version 1.00.032, and 1.01.034 are virtually the same and both need to updated to the newest version, the difference is in the NiMH2 mode. In the two latest versions 1.02.036 and 1.03.039 the NiMH2 is slightly different preventing many of the false peaks that the newer Sanyo cells experience. The two later numbers perform identically. Anyone owning either of the first two software versions can have them updated at no charge. Just send the charger in with the proper Service Form from the Service Section of the teamnovak.com website. The wires did change after the first few months, the current model features the Clearish blue and red charge leads. We do not offer a wire upgrade.

Brand new packs almost always false peak. Usually because they have been sitting on a shelf someplace with a partial charge in it. We have had the best luck with our packs by discharging them before they are charged. I have been using similar methods to what JohnBull and Aeon use. I even use a equalizing tray from time to time. It seems that constant use of a tray shortens cell life, but periodic use will allow for similar performance with longer cell life. Our recommended methods have been posted to the teamnovak.com tech info section.

Basically store the packs in a discharged state if I use them every week. If they will be in storage for more than 2 or 3 weeks, I like to put a few minutes of charge into them. Before I begin charging for practice or a race, I put the pack into a discharge tray that cuts off at around .3 volts per cell. Then charge pack in the NiMH2 mode at 5-7 amps depending on what type of NiMH cell it is. Best pack Life span is typically achieved at lower charge rates. After the run the pack is discharged to .9 volts per cell for storage. I have run packs more than once a day, but they seem to perform best if used once a day.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop a line.
Thanks for you time,
Charlie Suangka
[email protected]
Novak Electronics,
Irvine CA USA
www.teamnovak.com
Ph# 949-833-8873
Fx# 949-833-1631