R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CO27
Thread: CO27
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Grizzbob
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyrrus
hey I was just curious. last season I had a great times with a Orion Core. How would one gear a co27 compare to this motor.

right now I'm gearing this little monster at 57mm tires. 120 spur and 29 pinon on a mi2-bmi. i was thinking on going smaller to a 116 or 118 spur and maybe up to a 30 pinion.

What do you guy's think about going that route.

I'm racing on the rug for the first time(touring that is). i might have to try this motor in my crc 3.2.
It depends a bit on how your Co27 is setup, but in general, I'd say gearing it like a Core is close enough for a starting point. The Co27's powerband in general is VERY similar to that, the Peak Hellfire & Reedy MVP, but the Co27 does it without sacrificing efficiency, & they do it while running cool too, so they don't fade at the end of a run(in other words, they actually do what Trinity claimed they would). I'd go ahead & start similar to what you've been using, & adjust from there( again be mindful of what springs & brushes it's using, they will affect the powerband, from what I've seen, mine looked almost EXACTLY like an MVP with a purple/red spring & 767 combo, but it picked up considerably more rpm & lost a bit of torque when I rebuilt it & switched to F-Brushes, but overall power remained the same, just had to adjust my gearing to compensate)....