R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen MTX-4
Thread: Mugen MTX-4
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 04:45 PM
going4#1
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chris West
does any one find any advantages out of any of the option parts that are available for the MTX-4 or are most of them just for bling. Ive got front universals, engine mount, rubber belts alround and steel pinoins
I find the car needs little improvement but there are some weak points. On the other hand, if you love model building there's nothing wrong with blinging the hell out of it. As long as bling doesn't take anything away, go for it. It's your car.

Parts I upgraded:

The plastic hex wheel mounts. What the hell was Mugen thinking? For me, the part I upgraded first.

Front CVDs. Upgrading them isn't a necessity but you will loose a lot few dogbones. Since the rear wheels do not turn left or right they don't need them as much but I think I might get a set anyway. I have rarely lost rear dogbones but that's no comfort. Lost is lost whether it happens rarely or not. You'd have to smash the car pretty hard to lose a CVD.

The rear shock tower. The Mugen part is too flexible and fragile. I've seen more than one person with a broken rear shock tower. The 710 had a similar weakness until fixed by Serpent. I've upgraded to the Kawahara part and it's definitely a step up. No flex and it's strong.

I haven't tried any of the option chassis but the Mugen one is a bit too thin in my experience. There seems to be a point 1/3 of the way from the rear of the car, just after where the engine sits, that seems to flex in a front end collision. I always carry a spare. Looking for the Kawahara part.

The side belt tensioner also needs some work.

I prefer a bladed rear anti-roll bar for easy adjustment but the Mugen one functions just as well.

Other parts? Pinion and spurs.

Suggest you try this. It definitely works for me:
http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....oducts_id=7280

I use the JP version (6 fin model) but it's the same thing. 6 fins is great on a mixed track with both long straights and lots of tight turns. Car is very responsive.

Tip
Small number of fins = speed
Large number of fins = torque