Thread: Team Losi JRXS
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 11:55 AM
2-Bad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcoldman
To all Jrx-s pros,

I've encountered a unique problem with the differentials on my Jrx-s when running foams on carpet (using JTG on ozite). The problem is the diffs are buttery smooth prior to a run, but immediately after a run, they are extremely notchy. Here's the catch, if I operate the diffs for a few moments, the notchiness goes away and the diffs become smooth again.

I know I'm missing something obvious, so here's how I build the diffs:

Sand diff rings with 400 grit
Lightly lube each diff ball with diff grease (asc silicone)
Lube the thrust bearing assembly with black grease (asc black)
Invert every other cone washer (use 5)

Initially set differential fairly loose, hold 1 wheel and apply throttle for a few moments to seat the diff, then start to tighten the diff until almost no slippage is felt while holding 1 wheel and the spur gear.

I've been told there are some potential issues with the old style thrust bearings (new ones are cased differently), and don't know if that could be the problem.

I've never had a diff be smooth, notchy, and then smooth again.
Any thoughts?
I have had the same problem on a certain track here, (where there is a lot of diff action).... In my opinion it is the thrust bearing lube overheating. This is why after a few minutes it will feel good again. I never had much luck with the brown grease, but the Associated black grease and the ofna high-temp diff grease were better. Also, don't over tighten the diff initially either.

Hope this helps.....