Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 05:56 AM
rayhuang
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Guys,
Here's something interesting that a buddy and I stumbled across recently that I want to share. I don't use dual rate very much, but my buddy does and discovered a what appeared to be a problem. When turning his d/r down, he found that the end points of the steering limits did not follow proportionally. For instance, if a 12th scale car could turn 2 foot circles at max steering in both directions and then you were to turn the d/r down, you might find that the car might turn a 3 foot circle one way and 4 foot circle the other direction.

Well this seemed like an obvious flaw in the radio. Who would want non-proportional side to side d/r like that? I have always found that when I set my radio up that my end points are not always the same side to side (90% vs 75%), but once set, the car always acted correctly. So thinking this was odd, I thought that I would ask our radio control Team Manager this question.

It turns out, that if you center a servo with "trim" to achieve the mechanical center that you are looking for in your servo arm/saver... you will have uneven end points and this problem will effect the way your d/r acts as you reduce it!
This has plagued me for months. I thought I had it all figured out when I was given a tip of setting max travel from the default of 100 to 150 and then resetting all my cars. But I think it made things worse in some cases. I think a very small chnage in d/r (3 to 5 clicks) would make a huge change in EPA. Like more than a foot!!

I am glad someone esle found this because I was starting to lose my mind over this. IN fact it was so frustrating I didnt even feel like racing which for me is weird.

I'll reset my radio to 100 max travel, set my d/r to 100% and then set my subtrim and epa's!!!!!!!

I sure hope this is the answer because I use subtrim and d/r more thn most.