R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 960....
Thread: Serpent 960....
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 04:13 PM
going4#1
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GlennCauley
That's an interesting idea! Let us know how it works out, and if one side (solid) glazes up faster than the other.
Good point about glazing. With the 710, I had glazing using the option pads combined with the larger optional disc but it took a while to form. I'm kind of hoping that the holes on the one side (with the option disc) can provide enough cooling for the combined discs. I have heard about airflow through the disc but by separating the two disk with the star aren't you getting airflow between them as well? Won't hot air flow out toward cooler air as the disc spins? Glen, how bad does glazing get using standard pads and solid discs?

I'm not sure if it was Serpent's intension but with the little Ninja star you can combine discs in different ways. It's a great idea. You could try a solid disc for area on one side and another option disc on the other. Another example on the border's site:

http://shop.the-border.nl/product.ph...7&cat=0&page=2

There used to be a carbon disc sold for the 710 but I can't find it anywhere now. Carbon is a great conductor so if the star is made of aluminium you could draw heat from the solid disc toward the cooling disc and maybe solve heat issues that way using conduction. Well, it's all a theory at this point as to how much glaze forms on a combined disc. A test is needed.

But before I start the test I'm already thinking about pads. With the 705 and 710 the option pads have had the distinct advantage of lasting longer. But, on the other hand, are expensive, take time to warm up and, especially on one side, grind themselves down to nothing eventually. In terms of brake power I have not noticed a difference with the standard but I don't have any experience with Serpent 1/8th so I don't know if the option pads make a difference. Has anyone tried using pads from another maker, say Mugen or Kyosho? Maybe a pad combo is another idea.