R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ur first racing experience....
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2002, 09:49 AM
fastharry™
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

my first gas car was an associated nitro dual sport...all the guys were racing Kyosho spyders at the time...they were racing at Garden state plaza mall in Paramus NJ...this wa about 5 years ago..

anyway,I built this DS,put a Cv 12 in it and a PCM reciver(my first radio was a 3 pj PCM)

I loved my first car.....I was really proud of it my first night showing up....as a rule of thumb,I never allow anyone to drive my cars or motorcyclkes(or lend tools,for that matter)....but one of the racers wnated to try my new car,so I let him(trying to fit in,be a good guy,etc)..

He ran it a few laps,did real well with it....as he slowed the car down,it took off like a shot,hit the curb,and bent the chassis......

I almost cried.......as it turned out,I was using alkaline batterys,and that tripped the battery failsafe on the PCM....causing the throttle servo to twitch(big time)...

Futaba had no warning in the book...(they do now,thanks to me)...

when using battery failsafe,you have to use nicads because of the discharge curve.....

lessons learned first time racing?????????

DONT LET ANYONE DRIVE YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw,teh guy who crashed it was kind enough to offer to pay..i refused,and thanked him...racing bikes,I learned that it was my fault for letting him drive the car,not his.....

BTW,his name was stan....he later moved to WA and opened redmond hobbies.....

Last edited by fastharry™; 11-20-2002 at 12:41 PM.