R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TC3 Forum
Thread: TC3 Forum
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2002, 01:33 AM
Lonestar
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Howdy folks,

Craig: I run on high-grip black asphalt, it's a very tight and technical track. For practice, we usually run foams, but since it's a "new" car to me, I like to run rubbers because it tends to better point out balancing problems, due to the lesser grip, especially with the 10 triple I was running! Saturday's race will be handout foams on carpet. I will check the diff housings, this is a good suggestion. For shock length, I have only checked longitudinal symmetry, and it's perfect. Anyway, shock length symmetry should be a non-issue, at the first order anyway, since it's actually the equilibrium position with the spring compressed naturally that determines the chassis position. Shock length shouldn't have anything to do with it.... The only situation when a shock length asymetry could be a problem is when the shocks are fully extended... but you hit the limiters (droop screws) before it happens anyway. At the second order, if you have unequal length shocks, asymmetry can come from the fact that on the longer shock, the shaft is further into the oil and sustains stronger rebound forces... but it shouldn't be enough to throw the car sideways anyway.

jsp: the numbers I gave might actually not be 100% accurate ( I wquoted them from memory), but actually were put down in this thread to give a ballpark... However the ballpark is correct, and the L/R weight changed indeed. I am not surprised since it's what I expected by changing spring constraint with the shock collar. However your theory is interesting, but I'm curious to read how it is derived?

Thanks all for your help anyway! I'll let you know how the situation changes (if it does change).

Paul