R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 04:00 PM
Darkseid
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Good value? Definately, but to go faster with it you'll want some key additional parts.
Not picking on you...

but consider this... Look at all the $380-$400+ cars out there and check their threads. The people in those threads are buying pretty much the same things TA05 owners are. Sway bar kits...different arms(either harder or softer)...upperdecks...lowerdecks...etc. So when you consider that everyone is adding the same thing to every car, then logic would state that if all cars were left in stock form, the TA05 would still be competitive.

And its still a debatable issue as to whether or not "to go faster" you actually have to add those "key additional parts".

Lets look at some of the parts I've seen people on here list as "must have"

-TRF shocks...why? The kit shocks work perfectly, and some $380 cars still come with composite shocks.
-Universals...why? The dogbones work perfectly, and amazingly enough...very quietly...and when the foam is used properly, never fall out.
-Sway bars...I grant you this...These are a "must have" tuning aid for pretty much all cars.
-Springs...same as above...a must have...but the same applies to all cars.
-Alloy parts...not even close...most of these alloy parts strengthen in one area, only to weaken another. Not to mention adding weight.
-Shock towers...maybe...the flex in the stock towers was disturbing, but I ran mine for a good while without noticing any problems.

Like I said, not picking on your point, just trying to let the MANY new comers to the TA05 see that in the end, this $130 car doesn't have to end up being just as much as the competition, just to compete.

Now, if...like most of us...people choose(not have to) to keep buying stuff for it until it does, then well hey...some fun things can't be helped.