R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - One observers opinion
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 10:39 AM
r a shoe
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hyper1
I agree! you should pay yourself a little,but owning a rc track isn't like a normal fulltime business,where profits rule.It's more like a sideline business that really should be just a write off,I'd hate to think I had to depend on a rc track to make a living,it just ain't going to happen.I'm talking track here,no hobby shop,no employee's.Done right,you can maybe make a little pocket money but that's about it.
To own just a track facility w/no hobby shop you better own the property and do it for the hobby and tax write off.

I cannot picture a facility in this day that doesn't have the hobby shop. Besides what you can sell on practice and racedays, you can build an online store as well since you already carry the parts inventory. The hobby shop, if done properly would generate a good amount of income. It is very important to provide these services for racers. Watching racers go down the road to get something at less cost or because you don't carry parts is a killer. Besides, ever had to sit and watch racing all day because you broke in practice and can't get parts??? Really pisses you off.

This is why it is important for racers to support their local tracks. Buy parts, donate some time and race. I know from personal experience that if you help out a little, you get a better break on parts or your race fees comp'd for the day and so on. Besides it feels good to be appreciated because you helped out. Just think if you got 40 racers and 5 - 10 donated just a 1/2 hour of their time, think what could be accomplished. This is what helps tracks and this part of the hobby survive. It's better than getting pissed off at the owners or the owners getting pissed off at the racers because the crap-talk is flying.