R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - JMRCA change touring rule to 4cells! Is this the future?
Old 01-24-2006, 07:09 PM
AdrianM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mpetrich
Adrian, Kufman knows his stuff.
No doubt about that. I know a lot of ME's and EE that are geniuses about "their stuff" but really can't really apply what they know to "this stuff" becuase they don't work on "this stuff" for a living. They work on much more important stuff

For example. We had some of the best automotive suspension engineers from McLaren in the UK consult with our engineers at Schumacher UK. What was the result...nothing. Nothing they suggested worked in our application. The dynamics of an R/C car are different than a real car. There is no butt in the seat of an R/C car, our cars accelerate harder than a top fuel dragster, corner harder than an F1 car, etc.

The problems with kufman's comments on the old thread revolved around real world wattage output and efficiency of our motors. He assumed racers would run hotter winds and gear up so amp draw would get higher than we are running now so wattage output would be similar and motor life would be as bad or worse. It was pointed out to me that this is impossible since our motors will never approach current wattage outputs at lower voltages due to inherit limitations of their construction.

Kufman was absolutely correct in theory but it just wasn't so in real world application.