R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Should 19t and stock drivers be made to move to mod after wining a big event
Old 01-24-2006, 11:22 AM
CypressMidWest
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrighter
I'm sure Ian will agree with me here.. We tried this at our local track 2 years ago so the faster stock guys ran 19t to give the slower and less experienced guys a shot at winning. Within in 2 weeks we had no stock class and everyone was running 19t. The same guys that were complaining were now pissed and wanted to run with the faster guys to get better. You'll be lucky to make 10% of the racers out there happy so run whatever the heck your heart desires. You cannot base it on a timeline either. I've been racing for 4.5 years now total (tc for 3 years on and off) and most of the so called "slower guys" have at least 3-4 years on me. So where do you draw the line? I have to run mod because I come to the track prepared and have sponsors? Don't think so. I run stock because I can only race once a week with no practice, don't want to spend a life savings on tires (even with a discount they are $$), and don't like to cut after every run. I ran stock this weekend with some decent guys that have been doing this longer than I have, have sponsors and it was their home track but yet they are 2 laps down. Not my issue.
Exactly John!!! We tried 19t, all the slower guys moved to 19t, because they had NO BENCHMARK. Not every track is large enough for Mod, and not every track has a field of guys capable of running Mod. So the fastest stock guys return home to their 25 entry club races and they're supposed to run Mod all by themselves at home? If you wanna run with the factory Mod guys there's a level of time and committment that most individuals just can't approach, based not only on finances but schedule. Nearly all those whining that they want progression more than likely wouldn't make the show if the top 20 stock guys at Cleveland, the Birds, etc all moved on. Do you know why these drivers are that good? For some it's just pure talent, for others it's work ethic and the determination to win. Not once while some of the current fast stock guys were coming up, (and I can say this because I've been doing this damn near forever), have I heard Dayger, Cuffs or Pulfer say, man I wish WHOEVER would move to Mod. They just put their noses to the grindstone and made themselves better. I guess that's just not how our Microwave, instant coffee, society works anymore.