R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Have you worked out your Roll Center?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2006, 03:02 AM
TRF415boy
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BJ
That would be sooo cool!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for some of the help, but it's like when new cars have come out for example the Yokomo BD Tamiya MSX etc.. they don't have the holes in the shock towers anymore you just place shims under the camber link ball stud either inner or outer, plus you can add or take away shims under the A arm.
So with the kind of adjustment now available you can have unlimited combinations to get different Roll Centers. So when do you know when to put a 1mm shim under the camber link and the A arm for example, which would be lifting the whole Roll center in general?
When do you say, Ok i can not get the roll center any higher/lower now using the camber link it's time to raise/lower the A Arm.

As everyone knows to try every possible outcome would take a driver a full week to go through everything, as I only get 30mins track time on a sunday, I could be adjusting it for a very long time.

Printing off the orion link as we speak and will read it at work

Thanks guys
You have to be aware of the fact that if you only change for example the upper link's shimming, or only the wishbone's shimming, then you are not only playing with the roll centre but also with the camber change.

As has been said, the effect on the Roll Centre of, say adding a 1mm shim under the wishbones will be far greater than doing the same under the outer ball joint of the upper link. As I see things, by playing on the wishbones the effect on the roll centre is greater than the effect on the camber change, whereas doing so on the upper link has a greater effect on camber change than on the Roll Centre.

So if my car is sluggish and do not change direction quickly enough, I will not bother with the upper link and will raise the roll centre using shims under the wishbones. If direction change is fine but i want more mid corner grip, I'll be angling the camber link a bit more.

As has been said, the exact position of the RC isn't of any importance, unless you want to compare two car's geometry, what is important is to understand the influence of rasing/lowering it on th car's handling and how to achieve it.