R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Lipo
Thread: Platinum Lipo
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2006, 07:04 AM
Rick Hohwart
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jw92656
Hello Mr. Hohwart,
I read the FAQ on Orions website and it answered alot on my questions. But I have one question, and one non-experienced one. How long do the packs typically take to charge ? My other is the cut off (recommended 3.0 volts)? I have never checked the voltage of my 6 cell packs when my batts dump. When the LiPo dumps is there a margin of safety before reaching 2.7v and the irreversable damage that could occur as stated? Sorry if it has been addressed; thanks so much.
At 4.8 amps it can take about an hour to charge to full capacity. Of course charge time depends upon the starting point of the pack.

Six volts is the lowest voltage you want to safely take your pack to. For reference, a car will stop moving when it gets near 5.4 volts. Our recommendation is that you stop driving the car when it starts to slow. And if you drive it to this point, place it on your charger immediately for a few minutes, then unplug it so that there is no chance that your electronics or cooling fans discharge the battery to unsafe levels.

Originally Posted by MADHAT
Rick,
I have 2 of the Platinum packs and so far so good. If and when the time comes, how do I use the balancing/equilizing port on the bottom of the pack?
The actual procedure for balancing will be covered in the balancer's instructions.