R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 960....
Thread: Serpent 960....
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 06:57 AM
captian
Tech Master

Originally Posted by going4#1
I've heard GP are good but I've always stuck to Sanyo. First Sanyo tends to be a lot more conservative on amperage claims. Second, Sanyo always prints their minimum amps for each a particular type of cell while most other makers do not. I do not know if that is true for GP. Does anyone know? Plus, made in Japan versus Made in China . . . well, you have to admit, Made in Japan gives you a bit more confidence. I also hear Sanyo does not release a cell for production until they have fully charged and discharged it successfully for over 300 times.

Anyway, a pack only charges to the limit of it's worst cell. So, if you have 5 batteries that all say 950 but one only charges to 820, then the pack charges to 820.

Also, get ready for the Sanyo 1000mAh AAA cell. I hear it should hit the street end of the month or early Feb.

As for 2/3 sub-C versus AAA, well AAA is definitely lighter (~30 grams) but some racers like the feeling with a heavier battery in the middle. The car feels more 'planted' they say. For the 960 though, the AAA does allow you to lower the fuel tank CG so that should also give the car a bit more stability, at least when the fuel tank has sufficient fuel in it.
good point on the cell but how do you compare a 2/3 1400 mah to a 950 or 1000mah AAA pack . run time baby run time