R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How Hot Is Too Hot?????
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2002, 11:10 PM
Steevo
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by ChristopherKee
Because most heat sinks don't make good physical contact to the actual motor can. In effect just trapping the hot air in the vents by cutting off air flow. If you use some contact paste to help transfer the heat from the can to the sink it helps.

If you have good contact and heat transfer, then use it... If not it is better to just leave it off.
I understand what you are saying and it makes total sense, I have never really thought that hard about it before.
But if thats the case, then companies who are manufacturing these heat sinks are misleading people and are being fraudulent. If one sells a product for a particular purpose and it does not do what it is claimed to do then that is misleading. I personally have never been told when buying a heatsink, to buy some contact paste nor is any supplied therefore one would assume that it is not needed. I am sure that many would share the same opinion. I would have also thought that the heatsinks would have been manufactured so that they fit the motor can snugly and effectively dissipate the heat otherwise what good are they??
Its great that all these pretty colored alloy bits and pieces are available to us but wouldn't it be great if they actually made a difference instead of just looking good???

Anyway thats just my 2 cents worth.