R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New MRT ESC
Thread: New MRT ESC
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 01:21 AM
F. Alonso
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I ran the MRT MX Pro for the first time today. I initially had car handling problems which I resolved after a bit of testing, when I then focused more on the speed controller. The layout of the track I was testing was brand new so I don't have any times to compare with but the MRT felt like it had a lot of power and was extremely smooth. If anything, one could say that it was perhaps a little too smooth. I just used the setting recommended in the manual for Modified motors with the variable drive frequency (profile 6 I believe), but I think I could have made the speedy more aggressive. The initial punch was there for sure but a little bit more midrange punch could have been handy.

Probably the biggest thing that I needed to get used to was the lack of drag brake. Its something that I used quite a bit with the VFS-1 but it seems to be unavailable on the MRT. That is something which I would like to have had them implement, but you can certainly get around it with a bit of adjustment to your style.

I didn't try the launch control as I was a little scared to try to be honest, and its something I'd like to do on a gridded start at some point with some other cars as references.

I like the simplicity of the unit and the dust/water protection is great for keeping the unit clean and grit-free. Putting the MRT into my 415MSX was a breeze as it is the same size as the VFS-1 but with a much smaller switch which is very handy. Soldering the wires onto the speedy was a breeze also, and with it being the connectors version, that was not too much of a problem either. I direct solder my batteries/motors/esc so I have made it so that the wires/diode/cap won't be going anywhere. I will get some photos of it mounted in my car in the near future.

Overall I am very happy with the speedy in comparison to the previous speedy I had used, the VFS-1. I am hoping to do some more tests when racing gets started again for the year so that I will have some more feedback to you, but so far the results are good - smooooooooth.