R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Setting up an Integy xipp super lathe 3
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 12:37 PM
TL_XXX-S_racer
Tech Addict

I got my lathe setup earlier this week and I also went to my LHS to get a diamond bit for it and to have them check to see if i set it up right. They said i did and it looks nice. With my diamond bit i have 3 of those clear plastic trips under the bit to have it center line to the comm. This works great and I love this lathe. I put some Trinity motor oil on the V-blocks as well, and I just use a sharpie on the comm. The sharpie also helps you see if youve cut the comm all the way and correctly. I run the slave motor at 3 volts from my Pulsar 2. No flaws what so ever. Sorry, but I cant take any pics of my comms after words cause I dont have a digital camera. lol but the comms look very nice and shiny afterwords. Just make very small adjustments when youre cutting the comm. You dont want to cut to much off and it also may wear ur bit out after a while. Plus once the comm gets to small and u still cut alot off u may risk on having the bit get cought up and u may damage the bit and ur motor. What I also like to do after maybe every 4 passes across the comm when i do small skimms is take an exacto knife and run it along the little ridges just to get any extra copper out, and then i take a ball point pen to run across the ridges just so their arent sticking out and so they get rounded off. Then i just do maybe 1 or 2 more skims to make sure its cut nice and smooth then repeat the exacto and ball point pen step over after. Then when I break my motors in I oil the bushings of course and i put 1 or 2 drops of oil where the brush hoods are, just so the brushes are a little easier to re-bound and a little less of a chance of getting cought up.
Hope this helps any of you guys out. And good luck racing to all of you.
Also i would like to thank for your guy's help as well. For helping me get mine setup too.

Chris.