R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:28 PM
imjonah
Tech Addict

Default HMMMMM

Another Ankle Grabbing thread,

No one questions AMB's right to make a profit or to charge whatever they want for their product. I would be surprised if the manufacturing price of the PT is over $5. I totally support free market capitalism but not price gouging which ultimately hurts the whole sport. In fact they would most likely make a larger net profit at $35 than $85 simply because of greatly increased sales and we could put an end to the "make sure you return your transponder crap" forever.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I have found strange from day one here is the way in which most people on this forum defend and make excuses for manufactures and retailers.

If you complain about how fragile the suspension is on a TC, the response seems to be its your fault for not being a better driver. If you suggest maybe tracks put some kind of energy absorbing material at key places to protect cars, you hear about how tracks need to sell replacement parts.

I personally think the RC Industry is not particularly consumer friendly in general or supportive of the individual who wants to race their RC.

What the industry passes off as improvements,( 3800mah batteries) in reality improves nothing. How is going from you and all your race competition using 3300s to usinf 3800s an improvement. You are no faster relative to your competition and you are all out major money.

Where are the improvements in reliability and sturdiness? Where are the improvements in ease of maintenance? Where are the entry level race products, programs and support to bring new people into the sport?

If anything the ratio of time spent in the pit screwing with the car vs. time spent on the track racing, as well as the learning curve is getting worse rather than better.
$85 for a $5 worth of electronics is just the most egregious example of the industry's attitude toward the consumer.