R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent Impulse V9
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2002, 08:50 PM
InitialD
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by fuse01
yes finally, i feel so left out.

i was wondering if anyone of you change to a 3 piece clutch instead of the 2 piece shoe? i have the centax but is rather useless in our tiny tracks and tall gearing of 15 /18 i'm currently on 14/16 and 50/47

the 2 piece shoe failed me a few time when the spring broke and i ran like a turtle. can anyone advise me if there is a replace ment for 3 piece clutch like the mugen mtx2? or is there any way to make it work better?

i would also like to know what will happen if i toe in the rear 2 deg and also toe in the front 2 deg...? ??

currently running 3deg toe in rear and 3 deg toe out front.

I need tons of steering .. please assist.
mytsn is down and so is HPI forums. I think someone posted some info there on the non-HPI forums.

Believe me or not but I have not run the normal clutch shoe. All this while, I run the Centax onmy Impulse.

I believe there is a part number for the 3 piece clutch shoe. Will get it for you once mytsn or HPI forums are up (if ever). Personally, I would think that the 3 piece and the 2 piece clutch shoe works the same. Logic says that if the spring will break in a 2 piece clutch shoe, it will also break in a 3 piece clutch shoe.

I think the only thing different with the 2 piece versus the 3 piece cltuch shoe is that the latter grabs better.

I still say that put the Centax in your car if you want reliability. What you can do to your Centax is to tighten the spring so that the car will launch at a higher engine RPM. That will pull your car harder from the standstill.

Else, do like what Serpent is suggesting on the 705 FAQ. Change the drivetrain ratio on your Impulse.

Change the 18T to a 17T side belt pulley (new part number). For this, you need to have the 9619 MK2 adapter. Next, change the 23T brake pulley to 22T like what you have on the Impact. This also needs a 9614 Aluminum brake pulley adapter. Also, change the 46T diff pulley to 47T like on the Impact. That will effectively give you a 14T pinion on the Centax.

All the other pats are available except for the new 17T side belt pulley part number. You'll have to wait at least till the 705 comes out.

Else, get a 13T/16T fixed pinion Excel clutchbell

Question on car setup, in order to get more steering is to set the front to have more grip. You can set the front gear diff loose or better still drive a one way front diff. You can set brake to very slightly so that the car will not swap ends in the rear. I have tried this successfully on a tight track. It needs some practising. By the time you're done, you'll notice that you will be able to take corners shaper than the others.

Other ways to increase front traction is to use softer front tires, softer front springs, increase rear droop, limit front droop (in order to shift the weight to the front of the car) lower ride height in the front than the rear etc. Using 3 degree toe out in the front will increase the turn in response into a corner.

Putting 3 degree toe in increases rear stability but cuts out straight line speed. Well, you can try 2 degree toe in and see if you can still get the same amount of rear stability.