R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - MNC - MALAYSIAN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP EP CATEGORY
Old 12-21-2005, 06:20 AM
need4speed
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Red face

Besides preparing for MNC Round 5, I think it's time the commitee members of all the clubs and associations to sit down and discuss about improving the stagnant/declining popularity of EP Racing.

What ezziydizzy quoted could work, provided RC could generate income for the sponsors or return on the investments made by the sponsor(s). But looking at past races as a reference, it's would be very hard for a sponsor to see any potential in generating any forms of returns to entice them to sponsor current or even continue sponsoring future events. I have taken note that whenever a race is held not much publicity is created for the awareness of the public. How are we to improve on this?

No Public = No Crowd = No Point Advertising/Sponsoring.
Note = We need to create Public awareness whenever there is a race.

We in Ipoh are basically the worst of the lot, We don't even have a proper track to use. The number of active RC players are miniscule in comparison to other sporting activities. Possibly our own labeling of RC as a hobby is the crippling factor here. Most of the players I have encountered these few years say they considered RC a hobby nothing more. Play-play only. What do you think would happen to football if all the top players took their sport as a hobby? They could all be still kicking coconuts in their backyard.

There needs to be a competitive spirit within the individual to become better in whatever he/she does. In the past few races which I have participated, I have noticed that many come to races totally unprepared. As a hobby, I don't see many spending much effort on it. Wikipedia Definition of Hobby - # A hobby is a spare-time recreational pursuit. No doubt, we have to accept their participation because there are many others who don't take RC EP racing seriously to even enter races.

These people need some kind of motivation to be competitive, to improve and to participate. We need to address this. Do we need to define a Novice, Intermediate and Pro category? If so, how? Could we learn from the Tamiya class race regulations and modifiy it to suit a wider crowd.

I know I have pose more Q's than A's here. Those who know me personally, know I am improving with every race. I know it's an expensive hobby with no returns but tell me, which hobby will not be expensive to pursue eventually. It all boils down to the individual and how commited he/she is.

Last edited by need4speed; 12-21-2005 at 06:34 AM.