R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TC3 Forum
Thread: TC3 Forum
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2002, 12:19 PM
madweazl
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just finished (pretty much) putting my TC3 together, first Associated car other than a 10GT I had a couple of years ago. Not to impressed though, the chassis doesnt have any tweak in it but a few minor things really had a large impact for me since I'm stuck in Saudi.

First up, I open the box and take a look at what I have. Step one, bumper + front hinge block. Ok, tools needed, 1 1/16th allen wrench. Ok, allen wrench baggy, humm, two .050, 1 5/64, and 1 3/32. Doh! Not a big deal had my tools that were being shipped from the states not disappeared off the face of the earth (Dremel, digital calipers, soldering iron, and misc other junk).

Two days later, rest of my RC junk shows up with two sets of Hobbico tools (metric & standard), which included the 1/16 that I needed.

Aluminum screws for the bottom of the chassis, DOH! I thought these things were ruled illegal years ago. Swear that has to be one of the worst ideas in RC, just my opinion but they have no business on the bottom of the chassis, or in any other 1/16 or .050 application. Since the Hobbico kit shipped with a 1/16 ball driver I stripped two of them, not to big of a deal ago but enough to piss you off.

Diff, well, spring that goes under the thrust bearing actuall. Rather than being flat one was ground at about a 30* angle making the diff feel like shitola. Dremel still not found, DOH! Out come the pair of needle nose pliers (actually a Leathermen since my pliers are/where in the same box as the Dremel), here I am grinding away the spring by the only method available, the frickin sidewalk outside, lol. Got it as flat as I could but the diff still isnt near as smoothe as the other one unfortunatly.

Not to many problems building the rest of the kit though. The left front hub carrier does allow for the full angle of the wheels when turned left, an easy enough fix but annoying none the less.

The trannys were a bit of work too, to much binding with the shims recommended and the finish of the parts etc. Not a problem since I have plenty of time but it just seemed like the overall fit and finish wasnt what I was used to at all. Took a lot of work to free up the drivetrain. Had to remove the o-ring from the shaft as well, way to tight with it in there. Also have zero shims on the diffs, had to remove a considerable amount of material from the case to get them to drop in.

I dont know if Losi still has an inspector for every bag in the kit but I never had a problem with the 4 Losi cars prior to this one.

Its most of the way together now and looks very nice. Still no sign of that box so I have no soldering iron to get it up and running. Ordered a new Hakko but it will probably be another 3 weeks before I'm up and running I am impressed with the car at this point though. I think for the average builder this car may be a bit trying for somebody looking for a smoothe drivetrain out of the box.

Sorry about the long post, just wanted to vent I guess.