R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Spintec Battery Manager
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 07:07 PM
qwerty
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by g12314
My Batman does the same. Discharge the cells with Batman, let cells sit till next race. When I put them on the Novak smart tray lights go out very quickly (some instantly).

Now I have lowered the Novak's cutoff voltage in 0.1V increments to see just how low of a cutoff voltage is required to equalize the cells. I found that around 0.3V is required. This applies to both my GP3300 and GP3700 cells, so this is not just a single pack.

I have not discharged a 6-cell pack on my GFX recently and let it sit for 6 days then equalize to compare against the above, but my 4-cell packs (GP3700's) are dischaged to 0.9V per cell on the GFX and sit for 6 days and always take some time to equalize on the Novak tray when set at 0.9V. I just got a Dyna pulse for the 4-cell packs, so I can do a test to see if they are discharged similar to the Batman 6-cell packs.

Seems the Batman I have is taking the cells down to a much lower voltage than 0.85V per cell.

Regards,
Jimmy
i agree with everything u say jimmy. i been testing with some gp3300's.

i decided to work backwards to confirm that spintec is taking it below .85v/cell.

what i did was discharge it on a regular charger down to 6v (1v/cell). then i tray it down to 0.3v/cell.... then i put it on my spintec battery manager and it still wants to suck juice out of it. spintec said voltage was 6.8v and runtime was still going up.

at such a low voltage any load on the batteries (let alone 35amps) it should stop discharging immediatly.

it is a simple discharger, but i feel it is too simple and does not provide the user with any options/settings.

also i think it has previosly been mentioned, my gp3300 charge to only about 3400mah, but when i do a full discharge using the batman, it says it has a capacity of 4200mah.... you can't have more coming out than what is going in. Actually you will have less coming out than going in, considering there is some energy loss due to heat and other inefficiencies.

and yes, i know a "pulse" discharge allows the cells voltage to rebound, but do an experiment yourself. discharge to 5.4v, then allow the cells to rebound to 6.9v. then put it on a discharger again at anything more than 10amps, you wont even be able to get more than a few more amps (if any) before it trips 5.4v.

Last edited by qwerty; 12-06-2005 at 07:23 PM.