R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Saint Louis carpet racing!!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Laterilus
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sps3172
Skip mentioned that he and Jimmy were planning on coming up a couple times this month. I haven't talked to him to confirm this as of yet but I suspect that this Friday might be one of those times. If that's the case, you'd have someone to play rock'em sock'em 12th scalers with on Friday.

Our turnout is probably even better than the last time you raced...at least it seems a few more new guys have started running. What happened to Ed and the HPI sled? Is he coming back to run that some more? How's the Marion turnout? I heard that things were a bit slow up there this year.

Nick H, find something else for us to debate....my typing skills are on the decline without the constant practice that I get battling with you!
Hmmmm... nothing really comes to mind. I'll have to really dig deep here to find something to argue about....

While I'm thinking about something to debate, I'll talk about a few other odds and ends that are on my mind. I may be bored this weekend with possibly no racing going on. Winterfest and other obligations are preventing lots of folks from heading to Marion, it is still up in the air if Jeff. City's new track is opening this weekend, and I'm not in the mood to go to Troy or Lebanon. BTW Ken, how far of a drive is the Lebanon track, and what do you race there? Anyways, I might have some time to come out to watch the races at Roxana this weekend. Friday night is the big turnout night, correct? What time do things start up there? If I've got time (meaning, the ol' lady doesn't yell at me to come home) I'll come out to watch. I'm interested in seeing the new layout.

I watched those vids of the Cleveland race. Pretty cool. Why didn't they do triple A-mains? Secondly, I was amazed that the lanes would be sooo skinny for a large race like that. All that crashing into each other... couldn't that have been avoided with some wider lanes? I don't know how you guys do it with the carpet. Those skinny lanes would wear thin on my nerves.

You've heard right, Steve. Turnouts as of late at Marion haven't been the greatest. They're good, but not as good as they were last year. I visited a couple times last year and both times were better turnouts than what we've had so far this winter.... and those two days I visited last year were 'light' turnouts. I hear things pick up again in January, and of course we still get the alpha cup, but for some reason, no one knows what happened to everyone.

Alrighty. Enough stalling..............Damn. I've still got nothing, Steve. However, I do have a question for you to think about: Why no off-road racing for you this winter? I have my reasons for not running on-road (somewhat of a time issue, but I could get around that... mainly I don't have enough money to do both) but I don't think I've ever gotten a reason from you for not running off-road. So I started to think to myself what would be the typical reasons Steve could send my way for not going to race off-road.

1. Too dirty.
Not so. Indoor electric is probably no more dirty than your carpet racing. I only clean my tires and wipe the dried up mud off the bottom of my chassis. I haven't cleaned my cars at all otherwise. The gunk TCs throw up inside the car for on-road is probably more dirt than electric off-road gets.

2. Too expensive to run both.
Aren't you sponsored? Sure, maybe you have to buy some stuff, but if you look at your 'racing budget' as a collective budget including both on and off-road, it should be fairly cheap for you to get involved. If I had the majority of on-road stuff paid for me, then off-road is cheap to get into. As we have debated and come to a conclusion before, off-road is significantly less taxing on motors and batteries, and another nice little fact is that electric off-road does not wear out tires... especially indoor. I know you know that, but many peeps don't. I actually have tires that are two years old that I've baked off my rims twice now to change out foam inserts!

3. Too far of a drive.
C'mon, a serious racer like yourself should have no problem driving 2 hours or less for a club race meet on the weekends.

Now, this is all under the assumption that you at least enjoy electric off-road somewhat and would actually consider it. Secondly, I have no idea if any of these three reasons stated above would be part of your argument, I'm just trying to get things going. Basically, I just flipped the situation around from my perspective. I personally would enjoy running carpet with you guys. It wouldn't be my preference for on-road (I like asphalt a lot better) but r/c racing is r/c racing. I like all forms except for stupid oval. I just don't have the funds to do them all like others can *cough* Greg S *cough*. I'd just like to get as many good racers out to Marion on Saturdays as possible because of what has been mentioned before, Marion's turnouts haven't been exactly what we were hoping for this winter. There are plenty of great off-road racers that run in Roxana on Friday nights, but could also every so often come down to Marion to run off-road on Saturdays. I know if I could run on-road, I'd do both some weekends.

That reminds me, after Christmas, I should have a spare speedo, motor, receiver, and batts. If people have spare cars I'd be more than willing to drive them at Roxana from time to time.

BTW Steve, what makes 1/12 rockem' sockem'?