R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CE Dyno Question
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 10:00 AM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Batt-Mann-You might describe what you put on the x axis here"by having RPMs on the Y axis and torque on the Y axis you van plot this two points and get the Kt. Kt is basicaly the slope of the line. Once you know the Kt, you van figure operating torque at ANY amp draw"

Yankee-I did some more tinkering with your stock motor data. I took the torques and multiplied by the car overall gear ratio that you might use for these two motors.

I made the wheel torque at the average amp draw equal by adjusting the ratio of motor two to make it so. Now I always adjust the final gear ratio with lap times, but the plot that resulted was instructive. I plotted Power, which is not changed by the cars gear ratio, vs rear wheel torque, which we can change at will by adjusting the gear ratio slightly.

Hmm- Starting to look like a power vs amp draw graph. Motor two looks like it would do better on a road course in a heavy car where high torques (high amp draws as well) are required. But now maybe we can also tell that Motor I might be better on an oval or in a light car where amp draws are less and there are low rear wheel torques, and low amp draw.

If you would like to tinker with this Microsoft Ecell spreadsheet. You can request a copy by e-mail to [email protected]

Now whether you use amp steps are torque steps you can plot this data anyway you want. You can run amp steps and plot torque on the X axis. What you cannot get without another type of run is Kv or the RPM / Volt. I have used this latter approach with manufacturers published data on an Aveox brushless motor to plot a power curve. I got rather ridiculous power numbers which the company actually used to promote the product. The motor was rather ordianry on the track at the time. I think it's a better approach to actually dyno a motor and measure power. Then We don't have a dyno for these brushless motors available at present as far as I know. An acceleratin run measured by radar would probably show the mod brush type motors still have a slight edge in raw power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Power vs Rear Wheel Torque 65%.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	104053  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 12-07-2005 at 07:39 AM.