R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 30 amps vs. 35
Thread: 30 amps vs. 35
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 02:32 AM
PitCrew
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BATT_MAN
I can atest that Erick does his own matching on HIS OWN CE 4/35 equipment.

Batteries are an endothermic device...The entire chemical process to deliver energy is based on an endothermic process. It it is not the heat or stress that makes a battery perform better...it is the chemical reaction that creates the endothermic process that makes a battery deliver energy. The HEAT is a bi-product of the endothermic properties. Cycling a battery only starts this process since the manufacturers do not cycle the cells. It is necessary to cycle or zapp the batteries the right way to start the process and STABILIZE the cell. There are other metods to accelerate and enhance the endothermic properties of a battery...That is where battery enengineering, chemistry and physics play a huge role. Knowing how a battery operates internaly can make a big difference in finding good batteries and or take advantage of the inner properties of the cell to obtain the highest energy output, and I emphasize energy output, not voltage. We are limited with what we can do with voltages as that is determined by two factors; battery chemistry and the quality of the electrodes. However, there are methods and procedures that can be done to a battery in order to get better ENERGY output, and that in return can be noticed at the track as SPEED and RIP.
We all know that HEAT is a batteries WORST enemy. More batteries are damaged by excessive heat than any other factor. There is a limit to the continous discharge rate due to this issue.

The way a battery performs is completely different in a car than on a matching machine. We have spent hours analyzing real time current and voltage curves while on a racr car. We have done this with stock, 19T, and numerous different mod winds in order to undersatand better what is happening while we race. Thus, we are finding better and more accurate enhancing/matching processes. The goal is to provide racers with powerfull batteries that will be consistent during an entire race period. It is very easyto manipulate a battery to get higher Vavg numbers, but better performance...NO!!! Voltage alone does not dictate the battery performance.
I know that MOST of not all of you are up on the VOLTAGE issue, but please believe me that there are more important factors that affect performance than VOLTAGE alone. Remember, we are powering motors. Motors have active reactance due to the way they operate. By that I mean that the internal resistance of a motor changes continously. A battery needs to react quckly to this changes in order to provide good power...thats what defines good PUNCH.
I am not stating that voltage is not important because it is, but a few milivolts do not make any difference. There is a higher voltage drop across the electrical system than what you gain from the batteries.
How many of you have actualy tested a car UNDER LOAD and measured the open cell voltage v. voltage at the motor tabs... You would be surprised to see the voltage drop. I have seen cars where the soldering and wiring is so bad that we have measured drops in excess of 200mv across the wiring...YES, 0.2 VOLTS... So we are fighting for an extra 18mv (0.018v) for a 6 cell pack... and at 30+ amps some cars develop up to a 200mv (0.200v) drop across the electrical ststem... The entire electrical system efficiency needs to be taken into consideration, not justs the batteries. This is something that most racers ignore. Improve the efficiency of your electrical wiring, motor, and you will see the difference in performance...

Most of the matchers are producing great batteries because we are getting great batteries from the manufacturers. It us up to the the companies that know enough about batteries to figure out better ways to get that endothermic reaction to its best potential. The means are there to improve the batteries (up to a certain limit) and get better on-track performance. Machines only give us numbers, but the deciding factor is how the batteries as a whole (pack) will behave and deliver the power while racing.

I have seen so many racers damage their batteries by continous testing (charging/discharging) just to see the numbers. If your batteries are working and you are happy with their performance, don't mess with them, you always run the chance of creating irreversible damage to a cell....or droping the power delivering capabilities which will not be detected by theequipmen you are using. It takes much more sophisticated tests in order to detect these changes. Running time and voltage will not tell you that...

In no way shape do I criticize anybodys methods and or testing techniques. Everybody should be able to use the equipment and methods they deem to satisfy their needs. We have taken a different approach whichwe know to be more accurate and in return gives a closer representation of the environment under we operate. Axxis Racing is not selling batteries by the numbers alone...and will not play the numbers game. The goal is to provide our customers with the best possible products. Batteries thatwill deliver maximum power without sacrificing run times...consistent laps is one of our goals. Only the consumer will be able to decide if our products are as good or better than others.

Just like I do not say any NEGATIVE things and respect other companies, I will expect the same respect from others.

Only through innovation and design the r/c industry will advance. Axxis Racing ultimate goal is to do just that. We have the engineering expertise, financial backup, and background to produce new testing techniques and equipment. I know that there is nothing wrong with that. After all, the ones that will benefit at the end are the racers...

Isaac

Well, you haven't defined "ENDOTHERMIC" in your response, although you used the term over 5 times.

Endothermic I belive means a chemical reaction that takes place that produces heat (or cold) by means of a chemical reaction. Batteries make heat but not by just the chemical reaction alone. The energy created BY the chemical reaction passing through the cells produce heat in acordance to the amount of resistance in the cell. If there we 0 resistance, the heat would also be 0.

Higher load means more current passing through cells, means more heat.